Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Keanahora is a great word. It is derived from the Jewish expression Kein Ain Horah, which loosely translates as "Without the Evil Eye" People often say it when they say something nice, like, "I have great kids,, the doctor in Miami, the rabbi in NY and my married daughter the babymachine, kaynehorah." I do not use the expression, except when I would offend someone by omitting it. I am not superstitious, and plus I think it has Islamic or other roots. When I was in Turkey, everyone had these ceramic eyeballs to protect them from the evil eye. They are called Nazar Bonjuk and they come in all sorts of sizes. In any event, I must return to why I chose this expression for my site. 'Kaenahora" looks cool, okay? It looks like an Indian Goddess Princess Name, or a designer-urban-chic clothing line. Plus, its origin is Yiddish. What could be more fun?? I was dying to use it for something, and since I do not plan on opening a business anytime soon, what could be better than Christianing my blog kaenahora?? (sorry for the sacrilegious element there) which is a nice segway for my aunt and uncle's sacreligious lamb they had at their Seder this year, but I think that is for another time. Adios.

1 Comments:

Blogger kaenahora said...

I think both Islamic and Jewish and all other cultures have superstitious practices that helped them combat their collective fear of the unknown. I think it is basic human nature to fear what we cannot understand.

2:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home