Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Friday, May 05, 2006

Adventures in the kitchen

Question: What to do with about 15 pears and 12 tomatoes?

Answer: Look for a recipe on the internet and pray.

I acctually made a tomato/pear jam.
Horrible.
do not trust the internet for all recipes. Acctually, my mom has a thing she likes to say about cooking and thats USE GOOD INGREDIENTS.I didnt have that luxury--and hence, I went with the jam. I was desperate. I had two dozen fruit that were in danger of become compost faster than you can say 'photosynthesis'.aside from stirring a bubbling, thick and highly dangerous concoction for 1 and 1/2 hours (are we there yet? I'm bored)--All that trouble yeilded about a pint. The modern woman is liberated not because of universal sufferage or access to education, noooooooo, its because anyone can readily buy smuckers strawbery jam from a neighborhood grocery. In case you were wondering...It tastes like apple butter, and I like apple butter. The trouble is, knowing that its NOT apple butter, but tomatoes (you come accross the seeds) and pears (which dissolved into ???).makes you want to hurl something somewhere.
So far, people have tried it. No one said wow.
I am thinking of putting it on chicken, after all, chicken is just chicken and everything tastes good on chicken, right???

Update:
Tastes wonderful on chicken.
I put chicken on a bed of chopped parsnips amd stuck the tomato pear stuff on top. It is truly wonderful.

Moral of the story: Sometimes you have to take risks.

3 Comments:

Blogger kaenahora said...

Congrats! you have made the first comment on what will one day be an extremely popular destination on the web. And, for crying out loud, folk songs and jam are totally incomparable (for obvious reasons. I mean if they were to arm wrestle, I think we would agree that folksongs would take care of jam pretty quickly) On the other hand, jam might make a nifty name for the NAME of a folk singing band. Let me know if thats something you are interested in. we could jam around the country while taking a fantastic road trip through this great country...

11:25 PM

 
Blogger Miriam said...

you may have been better of using the stuff for compost:) Would you recommend the pear tomato recipe to others as a fixed kitchen staple?

5:42 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

no, too much work@

10:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home