Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Freeganism

For people who are sick of consumerism, mass produced culture, there is freeganism. Its a movement to live off the waste of a wasteful society. Its members go behind upscale supermarkets and groceries late at night with robber-gloved hands and carefully sift through stretchy black garbage bags. They are not bums or vagrants, no, some earn six figures. And they are savvy. They find the stuff that is not expired or over the due date, it is not rancid or moldy. It is just the extras they cannot sell or donate.

I would argue that foraging for food is an extreme example, but it can be enlightening to spend less. After spend-binging all summer, I want nothing more than to save my pennies, do more with less, and appreciate that which I have but have overlooked.

I go through boxes in the basement instead of shopping. I read old notebooks from high school, and the knowlege seems fresh. I found pottery I threw and forgot about, I found beauty and it cost me nothing.

I walked in the park. I went home and ate canned beans and hot dogs instead of going to starbucks. I played a board game with friends, instead of a jaunt to the movies.

I called my grandparents. I acctually had a nice few hours with my mom.

I am going back to basics and it feels wonderful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

made famous in this nytimes article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/21/garden/21freegan.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

there are endless free things to do in new york, including getting your teeth cleaned for free! i know because i am helping write a piece for the timeout mag about just that.

1:07 AM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

good for you!

1:19 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

I went swimming in a beautiful pool beneith the manhatthan bridge for free, thanks to time out.

1:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home