Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Invite your friend Monica....

I bought a set of starter harmonicas and I will learn to play them if it kills me. Last night I learned how to do blues trills and how to play "shanandoa" and "America the Beautiful." I keep trying to learn how to bend notes but I can only manage a faint attempt at the lowest hole--not enough.
...but I have faith.

My set comes with 7 Harmonicas in A, Bflat, C, D, E, F, and G. If you use a harmonica when you play the guitar, you play cross harp for harmony (for example, a song in D uses a harmonica in A). Its pretty straightforward. My harmonicas are German. They seemed to be the standard, most sturdy and economical choice. I did some comparative shopping and Hohner harmonicas are the most popular. They start out at a buck fifty and go into the hundreds for a full orchestral one.

There are a ton of great sites for the harmonica enthusist:
Jack's Harmonica Page
Harmonica-Lessons.co.uk - free Harmonica Lessons Online
HohnerUSA.com - making quality instruments since 1857

My parents always stay away from German made cars. They call them Nazi Boxes. But if Hitler had painted pictures, and the townsfolk and village people of Hoffinpuff and Glackenbroom had perfected their harmonica and other wind instruments, maybe the holocaust could have been avoided.

Faith.
Getting back to the issue of faith, I always claim that I don't have any, and it's true, I would rather believe in what I know.
Lately, though, I have found that I do believe in some things. (Like my eventual mastery of the harmonica). I think that I have faith (with a lower case 'f") and generally believe in a lower case god. He's there, he's just away from his desk. I can leave him post-it notes and messages on his machine. I have figured out that he cares very little that I believe in him, but its important to me that I believe a bit, so I do, and I think that's the way he wants it. I think he gets grossed out when people get all into him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I didn't realize that I was going to have to register to add comments on to your page. Do you see what I do for you?
Hopefully soon, maybe Lag B'Omer, we can play together. You on harmonica and me pretending to play guitar.
I think it's good to believe in what you know to be true. Otherwise you'll end up believing what every Rabbi tells you, and they often contradict creating a very large headache. Maybe becoming a Bokononist is the way to go...

3:56 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

a grossed out god? I will leave that to your emagination. after all, god looks different to each of us, right?

10:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home