Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Who is Sasha Cohen?

Last week I went to see the new movie "Borat" with some friends at one of our local cinemas. We had to wait 3 shows in: it was sold out, and sold out, and sold out. When we sat down at 10:30pm, every seat was filled(and by a suprising number of orthodox Jews). How was it? It was outrageous and yes, I laughed my head off. It was gross; I put my hands over my face--but continued watching through my fingers. No one near me vomited during that scene. you know which one I'm talking about, but I sort of wished someone had, because it would have validated some things for me, but whatever.

The thing is with Sasha B. Cohen, some of the tears of laughter are really tears of pain. You laugh at the anti semitic jokes because you see the irony. Yet you are aware of the people sitting a few rows behind you who haven't a clue--their bigotry is as apparant as your diet coke in the cupholder in your armrest.

I know Jews who act like Sasha Cohen, and I think a lot of Jews identify with what he does. Call it chutzpah or madness--they show the world for what it really is--they bring out humanity in its best and worse forms, and Sasha can do it better than anyone. When he enters a bar in the deep American South and performs an open mike song titled, "Throw the Jews Down the Well." you are not outraged by him, but of his audience, who gleefully sings along.

What propels his masochistic behavior? One wonders how he stays in character as his target/victim blandly utters a brutal remark against some minority group. Here is where you wonder about his sanity.

I have a relative who passed away a few years ago from colon cancer. When he received his dire prognosis from the doctor, he flew to Israel for inspiration? closure? Before he left for his trip, he made a bet with a friend that he would go to Ramalah and try to get someone to give him a cuban cigar. The intifada was just starting then. I remember him telling the story with a mixed sense of awe and revulsion. His audacity was propelled by grief and dispare--and by a sense of rage and fustration against what he believed to be a people who condone suicide bombers and terrorism agains Israel. He went to Ramalah to find out why, what and how. He wanted to see the faces of those who wish he were dead.

Sasha Cohen gives us the same sense of catharism. He is the Jew who laughes at non-Jews laughing at Jews. It's painfully funny. It hurts, but it's a release.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting analysis. i was thinking its one of those things you will laugh at as long as its not you being the victim. is that real humor? in a regular comedy, everyone is acting. with borat, real people were exposed without being made aware that they were going to be on a movie.

9:55 AM

 
Blogger anonym00kie said...

ive been having this argument with my friend for a couple of months already, we both laugh at borat's stuff, but she says its offensive.. and i find it brave, refreshing..
i thik you just pinpointed why - it feels good to laugh with the one who laughs at those who laugh at us.. the fact he uses hebrew kinda makes me feel like he's letting us in on his little secret. i like!

2:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where has the jewish gemini female blogger gone?

9:19 AM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

no clue about jewish gemini. you ask the wrong person.
also if someone caln tell me how to deleat spam messages like the one above let me know..
Also, animookie--as always your right! especially when you agree with me :^)
miss ya

5:56 PM

 
Blogger anonym00kie said...

kaenahora, thats not nice of you to say that! random bochur's comments are NOT spam..

oh... you mean askinstoo's comment..
sorry, misunderstood :)

(you see how theres a little garbage can under his message, click on that to delete it)

10:21 PM

 
Blogger Jo said...

Hey, I think your blog is awesome. I remember when I saw Borat, I was with two great friends and for some reason the escalator broke and we took the stairs down. Then as we were walking back to the car, a guy said an inappropriate comment to one of the girls I was with. But all of that was after we were randomly snatched by this girl promising an art gallery when really it was just a salon with like 6 paintings... Get the point?

1:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home