Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Friday, November 09, 2007

On Self Awareness

Back at my finest. My lithargic, crappy mood has compelled me to write. It is true, after all, that I create my best work out of melancholy.

Have I resigned myself to my usual tendancy to fall towards depression? I don't know and I don't care (an answer which is itself alarming). But I have temporarily misplaced my knack for self-inspiration.

I wear my heart on my sleeve. With saluations, no more do I respond "I am fine." I say, "I am glad you asked" and then proceed to say "my life has reverted to the singular (school), I am looking for direction, and overall, I am a bit down right now."

Mostly, people are glad I shared (because they are feeling the same way).

I used to write thought-tangents in a diary. Diaries are usually gifts from people one doesn't know very well (In high school, I would beging each entry with "Dear Susan." because "Dear Diary" was too cheesy, and the woman who gave me the journal was named Susan.) I was embarrassed to be writing down my vulnerabilities, but I would write. I would write out all of my sadness and then try to write myself some advice, that I would then ernestly try to follow.

In college I stopped writing. I lost my creativity in college. Some people find themselves, I sort of turned off. I did not do this intentionally, I just decided to devote myself to other people's writings, music and art.

And then, I came accross some introspective blogs and decided to give it a go. Its nice getting occassional feedback, but its not the same as the written form. For one, my handwriting is affected by mood. For another, I find nothing romantic or nostalgic about staring at a screen. And with the speed of the keyboard, I find my thoughts come too quickly, and they are less deliberate and thoughtful.

I don't think we can control the degree of introspection. I can't turn of my anxiety-laden stream of blather. I know they make drugs to lesson self-absorption, self-awareness, self-centerdness. But I have my pride and own every black thought. Every one of them. Of course I have cultivated each pessimistic reverie to perfection; and it was I, who fashioned the spears aimed at my heart. They are mine and I am possessive.

Still, it would be refreshing to be relieved of them every once in a while. Because once I start down that path of darkness, turning around is extremely difficult. Sometimes I wonder that I am continuing down an increasingly shadowy road, and that the lamps at the sidelines are only drawing me in deeper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home