Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Your mind is a very dangerous place

....Never enter it alone.
One of my best friends (who has known me since I have been four), noticed that I get depressed every summer. But I know it is not depression, or SAD (seasonal affective disorder), it is just boredom. I know this for a fact, because as soon as I have something to do, I am just dandy. DIGRESS: I will not go on a tirade about drug companies inventing disorders and deseases because I do not deny that the symptoms they describe are very real. Insomnia, mild depression, dry eyes and charley horse are all unpleasant. I will say though, that I believe drug companies have been so remarkably successful in reaching new patients is becuase everyone is so unbelievablly isolated in McSuburbia *or the American cultural characteristics of suburbia) that we all become pretty gullible--and worse, full of self doubt because we cannot compare our experiences to others. I am sure in the old days when people lived in neighborhoods and were forced into each other's business that these problems were addressed by a good heart to heart discussion. Like the wise old friend who tells you to just take a deep breath or go out, for once. What is missing today is a loss of validation. I often do not feel like I am doing everythng the right way, and at the right time and then am amazed how everyone else is struggling with the same crap I have to deal with and are managing in a comparatively mediocre way. Luckily, I live with other people who tell me to shut up, stop thinking and do something wonderful. I suppose for some people its easier to take a pill.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Sweetie - move about five blocks north. You'll know way too much about everybody's business. Or you could just come a groove with us here in Canada.

11:52 PM

 
Blogger Miriam said...

I came to visit yours--come visit mine--newly updated:)

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:02 AM

 
Blogger Jo said...

With this instant society in which we live, people want results right away not in a few days. Taking a pill is much easier than dealing with the real problem because that takes time and is often unpleasant. We repress those feelings with prozac, antacids, illegal drugs, alcohol, etc. It's much easier to escape reality than to deal with it. You know how many Americans spend the majority of their lives glued to a screen watching other people's problems on TV or reading about them in blogs...

1:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home