Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Biennial Dating Report

..."In other news, yours truly attended a wedding last night. As usual it was a lovely affair. I saw a number of people I like but fail to keep in touch with. I danced. I told the bride she looked pretty, because she did. I did not tell the bridesmades (her sisters) that they looked pretty, because they didn't. I chatted with some of my old teachers who always look suprised to see me. I am never suprised to see them because they and I attend these weddings and we see each other at these weddings. I had a great time because I love weddings and people and food and getting dressed up and dancing.

Approximately 15 hours later I logged online and counted all the emails I have received on frumster since I signed up 6 months ago: 228.

Thats 228 people I don't want to marry. On frumster. In general, though, this number is artificially low. There are acctually a lot more than 228 people I do not want to marry. Some people I don't want to marry more than others. There is a ranking, see, or a spectrum (depending on whether you view degrees of intensity in visual or kinetic terms).
Anyway I don't even want to get married. I just want to meet someone and then worry about it. Frumster, of course, is marriage oriented, so therefore I have adopted their language. But I am starting to realise that I haven't adopted the frumster genre and I have to move on.

... moveon.org has no dating feature. I just checked. So am I stuck with frumster?

In 6 days I will go back into my cave and in 6 months I will emerge with a diploma in each fist.I will then have to ask myself what I want out of life again. I will have to answer that question. I will have to make a choice between finishing my masters in a program I tolerate, or diving of the deep end and starting over.

I will probably choose to finish grad school. In which case, I will reenter my cave for another year and a half to two years, and emerge then, to worry about it. At which point, most of my friends will in fact, be married.

So its starting to irk me. the M word. ( I know you know I am lying on this point: its not starting to irk me, its been irking me for a while, but thanks for being understanding).

I am going to find some paint brushes and start that canvas. Be Well

6 Comments:

Blogger anonym00kie said...

the annoying thing about marriage is that you can keep pushing it off and pushing it off and pushing it off and then one day it sneaks up on you and you realize you cant turn back time..

6:58 PM

 
Blogger anonym00kie said...

oh and the great thing about getting married is that you have someone to work on that canvas with, soemone to inspire you, someoe to give you constructive critcism, someone to get you a drink, someone to encourage you, and someone to clean up the paint once its dripped all over the place..
.. at least thats what i hope..

7:01 PM

 
Blogger Jo said...

You were that bored? Oy. I'm glad you got out later in the evening.

You're not stuck with frumster, you'll just have to be more creative. There might be something intrinsically wrong with the guys on frumster, or any dating site (since they are all the same people). You don't need to meet people that have baggage and/or are jaded.

And it's completely acceptable to date someone until you are ready to marry, whether that is a few years or a few dates...

Why do people think that singles are doomed to failure on their own? If you put your life on pause (not you kaenahora, I know you don't do this) waiting for someone, you've wasted that time. But decide when you get your degrees, this semester or the next may make the decision easier.

10:34 PM

 
Blogger anonym00kie said...

something intrinsically wrong with guys on frumster? talk about a generalization.. what's that supposed to mean? theres something intrinsically wrong with some guys/girls everywhere/anywhere.. in some crowds its considered intrinsically wrong not to be on frumster..

10:49 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with frumster guys. In fact, I met a few good men. They had the same excuse I did for signing up: they are either geographically or time challenged. Yes there are those who are insane, criminal, and/or a bad date:) but, so far, they appear to be blatantly obvious. there are ALWAYS the signs.

11:35 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Hang in there, K. Your prince will come along in his own time. In the mean time, do what you do best - keep being the awesome, brilliant, interesting person you are!

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home