Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Monday, May 15, 2006

Cold Wet and Having to Pee

The things we do for friends.

Every year I and three of my friends celebrate each other's birthdays by hanging out and doing something we wouldn't otherwise do. Its a chance to catch up because no one has time these days to get together. Today we went to the zoo in honor of E's 22nd. We bought her a membership so she can take dates there and packed lunchboxes so we wouldn't starve. Yes, Yes, the birthday had a theme. Zoo theme, man. animal crackers in lunchboxes. juiceboxes and sandwiches cut into triangles, party hats and champaign. Awesome. Nostalgic. We even forged a permission slip from her mom, so she could go on the field trip.

Today was hugely ugly. It was pouring rain and there were no kids at the zoo. We owned the place. No strollers. No parents. The place was deserted. Only a bunch of wet, cold and miserable animals. I think we cheered them up, I mean, we were definately more entertaining than they were.

I was relieved. Every birthday party has a small element of humiliation. We always go out, and we always do something slightly embarrasing. One year they took me to a hair salon blindfolded and told me to pick a new hue for my tresses. For chanukka, they presented me with a 'sunshine experience.' We went to our neighborhood coffee-joint, E. lugging a giant trash bag filled with 1. highly tacky flowered centerpeice 2. heart sunglasses 3. party hats (everyone got two-we looked like vikings) 4. trivia pursuit for dummies.... I think you get the idea. It was very funny, yes, but somewhat mortifying. So, I was secretly pleased that the zoo was empty.

Still what are friends for? I get accused of being too serious. And every serious person needs a friend to shout PLACENTA at the top of their lungs at you, as you are hurrying accross campus to your organizational theory and behavior class. Keeps things in perspective.

5 Comments:

Blogger BlogBlond said...

aha! i've had a killing two birds with one stone epiphany! perhaps the cure for your crisis of faith is to become a party planner. always busy making people happy, no time to navel gaze...otherwise you could move in with anysara and soulmate and be the secular studies principal of the local jewish school (although josh won't date you if you teach in a frum school-hahaha!!!)hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm- maybe 3 birds with one stone????

8:56 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

blogblond, thanks and great advice. maybe I need to teach josh party planning?
Ever my teacher,
K

9:31 PM

 
Blogger Josh said...

BB - LOL. If anyone could ever dig his own grave, it'd be me...

K - I'm glad somebody sees what I've been missing. First lesson, party hats. Second lesson, yell placenta. Got it. Now my turn to teach. You don't need friends to have to pee. I hereby liberate you.

10:59 PM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

thanks Josh. what took so long? I mean, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

10:48 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Yay! If K gets to be the secular studies principal then I'm off the hook!

11:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home