Existential kvetches from your typical non-denominational, non-threatening, quasi-vegetarian, politically conscious, orthodox Jewish single gal. Kaenahora! MirtzaShem by you.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Parsley Guy

I am up on one of those dating sites. I haven't had much luck, and its sort of a farce, but I certainly get a lot of responses, and every once in a while I contact someone back and we email back and forth and have a phone conversation or two, and then I quickly realise its not for me--and find a polite way to exit.

Well...

Friday I gave this guy my number, I think we had 7 emails between us, and plus, he has an adorable screen name, and a terribly adorable stripey shirt, among other intruiging things...

so I give him my number and we have an awkward but charming conversation, untill he mentions that he was hungry and was therefor going to eat a cracker, which reminded me that I was hungry, so I informed him that I was going to go to the kitchen and find something... and I step into the kitchen and it smells like parsley because my sister is chopping parsely...

...and it smells nice, so I mention it to mr. cute stripey shirt.

"parsely?" he queries,"It smells like parsley? like you can acctually smell it?"

me: um...yeah, I guess....I mean its fresh.

him: fresh? where did you get fresh parsley?"

me: we grow it in our backyard in the garden

him; oh that's wonderful. I don't remember the last time I had parsely

me: (you have got to be kidding) um, yeah! its nice...but its pretty ordinary to get fresh parsely, I mean, when was the last time you entered a grocery, ahem. I mean, if you dont mind me asking?

him: why don't you send me some

me: what?! send you some parsely? but it will go limp, it will be terrible

him: so dry it.

me (thinking how do these conversations get so beyond my control?): wait. just a second. you want me to go all hippy and sundry some PARSLEY for you and MAIL it to YOU? WHY DON'T I JUST SEND SOME HAND DRIED RAISONS, for that matter??

him: no, just parsley, you can leave out the raisins.

me: I am thinking, that that's a bit picky, dude. I mean, I don't KNOW you, and like, that's a lot of commitment for a complete stranger

him (offended): strangers?! I sent you 7 emails

I guess I said it out loud

me: (he's got to be kidding, like, is that his idea of commitment? but this part of the convesation being a total repeat of other conversations when i "broke up with people without ever even meeting them' phenomenon of internet dating) Listen, I cant send you parsely

him: this is my Address. its blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda

me: I jot it down. i tell him, nah, but nice try.

we hang up. I, full of guilt, send him a link to a parsely website. Shabbos starts a few hours later and I daydream during the meal: me going outside, picking parsely, spreading it out on my picnic table, and mailing it in a jar with a gingham lid cover.

Shabbos day I bring this story up to my friends. They think its adorable. "oh, just send him some, its so wacky and cute."

Sunday I tell my mom: "is he cute? because if he is cute, I would definately send him the parsley" she tells me

"but I haven't even met him! doesnt he at least owe me coffee first?"

cuz thats what I'm thinking.
well does he? What do you think?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Did you happen to mention that you grow more than just parsley? You might not want to otherwise there's the likelihood of him calling you Ms McCormick. You should tell him that dried parsley is just not the same as fresh (he can get off his tush and go to a grocery store, if he can pick it out). He definitely owes you coffee first or maybe some oregano ;)

1:11 AM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

hey pop, you have reached the heart of the issue. Internet dating is totally wierd, especially when its long distance, so the likelyhood of you meeting is, well, kinda like sending someone you never met parsley. I am waiting for a second phone call. If he redeems himself, I will consider it a possiblility.

5:20 PM

 
Blogger BlogBlond said...

never give up the parsley! you know what they say- if you give away the parsley for free, nobody will buy the garden...;)

8:29 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

This guy reminds me of the countless idiots who seem to roam the halls of Frumster. They are desperate to make themselves stand out and will flail about spouting random things to random women until something sticks.

He's lame. Don't send the parsley.

9:24 AM

 
Blogger kaenahora said...

update on parsely guy: had a few more conversations with him and he still hasn't redeemed himself enough for me to be sending him herbs in the mail.

I think at this point I have a pretty good idea of where this is going, and let me say that the sage, rosemary and thyme will be a loooooong time coming.
Happy July everybody!

4:59 PM

 
Blogger anonym00kie said...

youre a riot!

4:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home